Bay County’s Swimming and Diving Elite Make a Statement at Panama City Beach Invitational
PANAMA CITY BEACH, FL – Bay County’s top swimmers faced off against some of the best teams in the panhandle at the PCB Invitational Swim & Dive Meet held October 3rd at the Panama City Beach Aquatic Center. The meet included more than 550 athletes from 20 high school teams, including co-hosts Arnold and Mosley, as well as Bay, Chiles, Choctaw, Florida High, Fort Walton Beach, Gulf Breeze, Leon, Lincoln, Maclay, Navarre, Niceville, North Bay Haven, Pace, Pensacola Catholic, Rickards, Rocky Bayou, Rutherford, and West Florida high schools.
For Bay County, the highlight of the competition was the county record-breaking, race-winning 100 butterfly swim by Arnold High School senior Hannah Retherford in 57.73. She also finished first in the 100 backstroke event in 58.60.
In overall points, Arnold girls finished first among 2A schools and third overall with 301 points, behind 3A powerhouses Niceville (319) and Chiles (314). Mosley girls finished fourth, Bay High eleventh,North Bay Haven fourteenth, and Rutherford sixteenth. Arnold boys also finished first among 2A schools and second overall with 273.5 points, behind a deeper Chiles team (389). Mosley boys finished fourth, North Bay Haven eleventh, and Bay High eighteenth.
- The Arnold girls 200 medley relay of freshman Maddie Campbell, junior Kari Troia, and seniors Hannah Retherford and Kalanne Krause took first place in 1:54.86. The Mosley girls 200 medley relay of seniors Madison Mettile and Fallon Gelsleichter, junior Sophee Beall, and sophomore Haley Davenport finished fourth in 2:00.78. The Arnold boys 200 medley relay of juniors Alex Phlegar, Chad McGuire, Keenan Williams and sophomore Nico Gobel finished second in 1:41.55, just six tenths of a second behind Chiles. The Mosley boys team of freshman Mason Legg, junior Logan Flitcraft, senior Liam Alexander and junior Shane Williams took fifth in 1:46.12.
- In the 200 freestyle relay, Arnold’s team of seniors Michaela Ashley and McKenna Hyman, sophomore Molly Grace Bradford and senior Sophia Dorr combined to finish fifth in 1:55.68. Arnold boys (sophomore Cole Tillman, senior James Overman, and juniors Nathan Schoppe and Keenan Williams) pulled off a fourth place finish in 1:37.34, while Mosley’s team of junior Ethan Rine, senior Michael Schrems, freshman Spencer Selhorst and senior Grayson Campbell took seventh in 1:39.31.
- Finally, in the 400 freestyle relay, Arnold’s girls (Krause, Troia, Campbell and Retherford) placed second in 3:48.11, while Mosley’s Gelsleichter, Beall, sophomore Elizabeth Fisher and senior Sumerau Toole finished third in 4:01.15. The Arnold boys team of Gobel, Tillman, McGuire and Phlegar finished third in 3:25.71, only behind Chiles and Niceville, while Mosley’s Flitcraft, Legg, Alexander and Williams placed fifth in 3:30.70.
Bay County swimmers who placed top ten in individual events are as follows:
- In the 50 freestyle, Mosley’s Elizabeth Fisher was the top female finisher in the county in fourth place, and the boys’ top finisher was Mosley’s Shane Williams in second.
- In the 100 freestyle, Arnold’s Kalanne Krause finished second, Mosley’s Elizabeth Fishertook fourth, and Arnold’s Sophia Dorr placed ninth. Mosley’s Shane Williams finished first in the boys 100 freestyle and teammate Michael Schrems was ninth.
- In the 200 freestyle, Arnold’s Maddie Campbell placed fifth, Mosley’s Haley Davenportand Sumerau Toole placed sixth and eighth, and Arnold’s Molly Grace Bradford finished ninth. For the boys, Arnold’s Cole Tillman finished third and Mosley’s Michael Schrems andSpencer Selhorst fourth and seventh.
- The top finisher in the girls 500 freestyle was Mosley’s Haley Davenport in ninth, and on the boys’ side, Arnold’s Nico Gobel placed fifth and Mosley’s Liam Alexander eighth.
- The top ten in the girls 100 backstroke was dominated by Bay County swimmers, with Arnold’s Hannah Retherford and Maddie Campbell finishing first and second, Mosley’sSophee Beall in fourth, and Arnold’s Kalanne Krause and Molly Grace Bradford in fifth and eighth. For the boys, Arnold’s Alex Phelgar won the 100 backstroke event, North Bay Haven’sReid Metcalf finished eighth, and Mosley’s Mason Legg took tenth.
- In the 100 breaststroke, Bay High’s Alyssa Hurst finished third, followed by Arnold’s KariTroia and Michaela Ashley in fourth and sixth. For the boys, Arnold’s Chad McGuire finished second, Mosley’s Logan Flitcraft in seventh, and Arnold’s Keenan Williams in eighth.
- The girls 100 butterfly was won by Arnold’s Hannah Retherford in a county-record breaking time of 57.73, while Mosley’s Sophee Beall finished fourth, North Bay Haven’sReagan Swindler in eighth, and Bay High’s Alexis Hall in tenth. For the boys, Mosley’s LoganFlitcraft finished third, followed by Arnold’s Keenan Williams in fifth, Mosley’s GraysonCampbell in ninth, and Arnold’s Cole Tillman in tenth.
- In the 200 IM, Bay High’s Alyssa Hurst finished eighth followed by Arnold’s Kari Troiaand Michaela Ashley in ninth and tenth. For the boys, three Arnold swimmers finished in the top ten; Chad McGuire was fourth, Alex Phlegar ninth, and Nico Gobel tenth.
Arnold senior Carson Bronnenberg placed second in the girls’ dive competition, followed by Mosley’sAbby Sylvester in sixth place, North Bay Haven’s Jacey Rudd in seventh, Mosley’s SydneeThompson in ninth, and Arnold’s Dessirae McCullough in tenth. For the boys, Arnold juniors HunterMcCarter and Larson Dorr finished fourth and sixth, while freshman Cole McGuire placed seventh.